When Uber partnered with Barclays for a co-branded credit card, it became the first ridesharing company to have its own final services’ product. With this superb no-fee rewards on credit card, Uber is strengthening its presence in the life of its consumers.
Unlike the name suggests, this card is not most rewarding for Uber rides, instead, it offers an impressive 4-3-2-1 rewards program targeting millennials, urbanites, and business travelers.
This first branded card by Uber lets cardholders earn 4% cashback on dining, 3% cashback on airfare and hotels, 2% cashback on online purchases like Uber online shopping, music and video streaming and 1% cashback on other purchases. Along with these four rewards tiers, it also offers annual spending rewards and mobile phone insurance.
- 1 Complete Uber Visa Card review
- 1.1 Card Benefits
- 1.2 How to Apply
- 1.3 How to Redeem Rewards
- 1.4 Redeem rewards for Uber credits in the Uber app
- 1.5 Interest Rates Charges and Fees of UBER VISA Card
- 1.6 Pros and Cons
Complete Uber Visa Card review
The Uber Visa Card is best suited for a regular Uber consumer who frequently travels for work, eats out often, does most shopping online, pays most bills online and also pays their balance in full each month. These heavy spenders on dining, travel and online purchases have the best chance at maximizing their card’s rewards offer. It is to be kept in mind that the benefits are canceled out if a user carries a balance due to a high-interest charge on purchases.
Uber loyalists can reap benefits as they can manage and redeem the points using the app and redeem rewards for Uber Credits for Uber rides and UberEATS.
The exciting 4-3-2-1 rewards program of Uber Visa card, as mentioned above, is not the only attractive rewards system for its consumers. The unique benefits like digital services subscription services and mobile phone protection are quite a catch.
Here are the cashback rewards it offers to its users:
- 4 points per dollar spent on dining which includes restaurants, takeout, and bars, including UberEATS.
- 3 points per dollar spent on travel which includes airfare, hotels, and vacation home rentals like Airbnb.
- 2 points per dollar on online purchases which include Uber, online shopping, and video and music streaming services. The terms and conditions for this card mention certain online services eligible for the 2% rate:
- Music and video streaming services: Google Music, Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Netflix, HBO Now, Hulu, Pandora, Sirius XM, and DirecTV NOW.
- Online services: Instacart, Shyp, Angie’s List, Handy, Thumbtack, FlyCleaners, and TaskRabbit
- Online purchase of mobile applications and media platforms: iTunes and Google Play
- 1 point per dollar on all other purchases which includes utilities, government services, contract services, and professional services. This is regardless of the mode of payment, which can be online or offline.
- Up to $50 credit for net purchases, for eligible digital video, music or shopping subscription services, made through the card.
- A total of $5,000 or greater in annual net expenditure is necessary for this credit.
- Services that qualify for the anniversary credit are Apple Music, Google Music, Audible, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, DirecTV NOW, and the annual membership fee for Amazon Prime or Shoprunner.
- Up to $600 for mobile phone insurance coverage when the cardholders use this card to wireless bill per month.
How to Apply
The application process for this card is very simple and convenient. Users who are interested in this card can apply for the unsecured rewards card online or directly through the Uber phone app. The approval for the card happens in few minutes. The in-app application makes this application process painless for anyone who has already installed the Uber app.
After the application’s approval, the card becomes available for use immediately. On the cardholder’s mobile devices, it can be used for rides and UberEATS orders made through the Uber app. Cardholders generally receive the physical card through mail within 1-2 weeks of approval.
After the approval, cardholders also receive $100 as a sign-up bonus if they after spend $500 in the first 90 days. This seems like a good offer for a no-fee card with the minimum spend coming to only $167 per month.
How to Redeem Rewards
The cardholders can begin to redeem cashback for Uber credits when their cashback balance is $5 (500 points) or more. They can redeem through Uber credits, gift cards, statement credit or direct deposit.
The points do not expire until the account is active. A minimum of $25 (2,500 points) is mandatory for primary and authorized cardmembers to redeem points for cash back, a statement credit, or gift cards.
Only the primary cardholder is eligible to redeem points for Uber credits through the Uber mobile app. The card has to be added to the primary cardholder’s Uber account before redemption. They can also redeem rewards online though the cardholder portal at BarclaycardUS.com, or by calling the customer service number which is mentioned at the back of the card. There is a daily cap of $500 for cash back redemption. Each cashback point is equal to $0.01 (2,500 points = $25).
Redeem rewards for Uber credits in the Uber app
Through the Uber mobile app, the cardholders can directly manage the rewards points they have collected for Uber credits, gift cards or cashback.
The first step is to add the Uber Visa Card as a payment method. Once you have added the card, tap on the Barclays mobile app menu to check the points balance. When you tap on the points balance, you will be prompted to select the amount to be redeemed. The redemption generally doesn’t take much time but it can take up to 24 hours.
Interest Rates Charges and Fees of UBER VISA Card
Interest Rates and Charges
- Annual Percentage Rate (APR) on purchases: 17.49% to 28.24%
- APR for cash advance: 28.49%
- APR for balance transfers: 17.49% to 28.24%
- Minimum interest charge: $0.50
- Grace period: at least 23 days
- Annual Fee: $0
- Balance transfer fee: $10 or 3% of the amount transferred(whichever is greater)
- Cash advance: $10 or 3% of the amount of the cash advance (whichever is greater)
- Late penalty: up to $39
- Returned payment: up to $39
Pros and Cons
- No annual fee
- Points do not expire
- Annual rewards (Up to $50 credit for an annual expenditure of $5,000 on digital subscription services)
- Sign-up bonus ($100 after $500 expenditure on purchases in the first 3 months)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Mobile phone insurance (receive up to $600 when your monthly phone bill through this card)
- Bonus points for three purchase categories, including online shopping and digital subscription services
- Additional points when a credit card is used for Uber purchases
- Annual credit for digital subscription services
- Only $500 worth of points can be redeemed daily
- Online limitations to those 2% cash-back rewards
- No interest-free balance transfer period
- Annual credit benefit for digital service subscription is limited to certain services only
- No premium status in Uber Rewards
- No introductory APR offer
If you are an avid Uber user and of one of the services in which this Uber Visa card offers cashback then you should definitely give this card a try.